Friday, January 2, 2009

'Weather' I like it or not...


Oh no! So the planner in me just had to check the forecast now that I'm ten days out from the marathon. And the verdict is 60% chance of rain. Crap!! But, and not to put down the forecasters, seriously most of the time it's nearly impossible to get a true picture of the weather when it's only one or two days out. I wouldn't be shocked if things changed in the next ten days. But, what if it doesn't?? I have got to be prepared for anything: rain, sleet, snow, heat, cold, lightning, tornadoes...well whatever, you know what I'm saying!
So now I'm scouring the internet once again for tips. And I'm definitely seeking advice. Rob and I have been so lucky during our training and have not had to do much, if any, training in the rain. One thing I've been so blessed with is having no blisters at all during my training. Rob's not so lucky. His feet are pretty darn nasty (love you honey but you know it's true!! haha) I'm scared that bringing tons of moisture into the picture will wreak absolute havoc on our feet. I'll definitely be taking a trip to the running store this weekend to make sure I have the best socks possible in the event of rain. I also read about wearing a garbage bag during the race, or for at least part of it, as a lightweight way of keeping your body from getting too cold and wet without weighing yourself down. So please, any runners who read this bog, post your tips, and lots of them! You never know what you're going to get on race day, and the best I can do is be as knowledgeable as possible!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup,I've heard of garbage bags too. They also have poncho's-but hey if it stops raining, you can just throw it, literally, on the ground and race officials will throw it away for you.

As far as feet. Tell Rob to pack away 2 extra pairs of socks. Seriously. Still do the vaseline-as it will waterproof his feet-temporarily. It should last a long while though, he'll know when he needs to switch up the socks though.

Running in the rain is also, very fun! It's distracting and liberating, and a spiritual experience at the same time. At least it was for me. Don't worry too much about it. Their will be TONS of things there, and people, to help you along the way.

Amanda Keller said...

You are so positive...thank you for that!! I checked the forecast again and it looks not like it's supposed to be a beautiful day! It'll porobaby change 5 more times between now amd then!! Gosh it sucks being a control freak!!